Horizon House is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity).
Start Over with Job Search
Certified Peer Support Specialist
Lehigh County, PA
2541-910 EMMAUS St
Job Description/Essential Functions:
Horizon House, Inc. is a nationally recognized provider of services to adults with support needs due to developmental disabilities, behavioral health issues, and substance abuse. Horizon House is Pennsylvania’s oldest psychiatric rehabilitation agency. Since 1952, we have been dedicated to helping people with mental illness, drug and alcohol addictions, developmental/intellectual disabilities, and homelessness to stabilize their lives and to help them live as independently as possible in the community. With over 100 locations throughout South and North Eastern Pennsylvania and the state of Delaware, Horizon House provides services to a diverse population focusing on individual strength and choice.
We are seeking qualified candidates for the position of
Peer Support Specialist
. The position has responsibility for providing peer support services, therapeutic interactions designed to promote empowerment, self-determination, understanding, coping skills, and resilience through mentoring and service coordination supports. Assist program participants with mental illnesses and to regain control over their own lives and their own recovery process. Other responsibilities include the following:
• In collaboration with the team, provide program participants with counseling and support to identify self-determined goals.
• Serve as a mentor to program participants to promote hope and empowerment in their recovery process.
• Act as an informal educator to other team members to facilitate understanding and empathy to each person’s unique and subjective experience and perceptions.
• Collaborate with the team to promote a team culture in which self-determination and decision-making in recovery planning are supported.
• Assist program participants in identifying, understanding, and combating stigma and discrimination associated with mental illness and develop strategies to reduce self- stigma.
• Serve as the liaison between the team and client-run programs such as self-help groups and drop-in centers.
• Ideal candidates will have High school diploma or one year of paid or volunteer work; or any combination of experience, education or training that would provide the level of knowledge, skill and ability required.
• A person who is self identified as having met the criteria for serious mental illness as defined in the Mental Health Bulletin (OMH-94-04) who utilizes or has utilized mental health and/or co-occurring services and has been trained and certified to help her/his peer identify and achieve specific self-determined goals.
• Must be a certified Peer Specialist certified by a PA State approved entity.
• Demonstrates knowledge of recovery/wellness principles and ability to model and mentor the recovery process and demonstrate effective coping skills.
• Valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record required.
• Frequent interactions with peers who are at different stages of recovery.
• May be required to assist with crisis intervention in emergency situations in an ancillary/supportive role educating and supporting peers in the development and implementation of WRAP and Advanced Directives.
• Requires the ability to lift, carry, fold, kneel, stack, stoop and bend which may include direct intervention with clients.
• Local travel required, including transporting program participants.
• Flexibility in scheduling.
• May be required to report to work during emergencies, including inclement weather.
• Must be able to assist in the evacuation of participants during emergency situations.
© Copyright 2009. Horizon House, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Contact the Webmaster