Horizon House is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity).
Start Over with Job Search
Behavior Health Specialist
Delaware County, PA
Job Description/Essential Functions:
Horizon House, Inc. is a nationally recognized provider of services to adults with support needs due to developmental disabilities, behavioral health issues, and substance abuse. Horizon House is Pennsylvania’s oldest psychiatric rehabilitation agency. Since 1952, we have been dedicated to helping people with mental illness, drug and alcohol addictions, developmental/intellectual disabilities, and homelessness to stabilize their lives and to help them live as independently as possible in the community. With over 100 locations throughout South and North Eastern Pennsylvania and the state of Delaware, Horizon House provides services to a diverse population focusing on individual strength and choice.
We are seeking qualified candidates for the position of
Behavior Health Specialist
. The position has responsibility for conducting the initial client intake and assessment for individuals referred for treatment. To provide outreach and case management services to stabilize homeless clients with serious mental illness and substance dependence. The Behavior Health Specialist has the responsibility to promote self-sufficiency and independent living for client caseload and to transfer clients to other forms of care as needed. Other responsibilities include the following:
• Participate with client development and refinement of individual service plans incorporating client strengths in determining residential, social, educational, vocational and self-care objectives; provide guidance and review accessibility of services; update and amend plan as needed; ensure client input in determining needs and goals.
• Coordinate referrals with other agencies/facilities to meet the assessed needs of the clients.
• Work closely and establish ongoing dialogue with other agencies, treatment facilities and advocacy or support groups with whom placements have been secured.
• Participate in the resolution of crisis situations; assist in with identifying key individuals and resources that can provide direct support and/or immediate intervention during crisis situations.
• Complete, maintain, and file documentation including progress reports and service plans as required by regulations. Assist in supervision of chart compliance to include service panning, documentation policy and procedural compliance and staff report.
• Serve as an advocate and encourage clients to assume a proactive role in their rehabilitation process. Provide direct support through effective communications with program staff, clients and other providers.
• Bachelor’s degree in Human Services/Social Sciences, Healthcare or related field, at least 3 years’ experience in Mental Health or any other combination that minimally meets regulatory compliance.
• Skills and competence to establish supportive trusting relationships with persons with severe and persistent mental illnesses and respect for client rights and personal preferences in treatment are essential.
• Knowledge of mental health systems and supports. Some knowledge of multiple support systems for substance abusers. Good communication skills, both oral and written.
• Detail oriented.
• Substance abuse experience desirable.
• Excellent assessment skills with a least 1-year case management and counseling experience preferred.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a focused team.
• Valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record required.
• Frequent talking and listening.
• Requires crisis intervention in emergency situations.
• Must be available for local travel and have a valid driver's license.
• Required to carry program cell phone.
© Copyright 2009. Horizon House, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Contact the Webmaster