Horizon House is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity).
Start Over with Job Search
Mental Health Specialist
Lehigh County, PA
Job Description/Essential Functions:
Horizon House, Inc. is a nationally recognized provider of services to adults with support needs due to developmental disabilities, behavioral health issues, and substance abuse. Horizon House is Pennsylvania’s oldest psychiatric rehabilitation agency. Since 1952, we have been dedicated to helping people with mental illness, drug and alcohol addictions, developmental/intellectual disabilities, and homelessness to stabilize their lives and to help them live as independently as possible in the community. With over 100 locations throughout South and North Eastern Pennsylvania and the state of Delaware, Horizon House provides services to a diverse population focusing on individual strength and choice.
We are seeking qualified candidates for the position of
Mental Health Specialist
. The position as part of the ACT multidisciplinary team provides rehabilitation and support functions and assists in treatment, provide substance abuse services, education, support and consultation to families; and provide crisis intervention under the clinical supervision of staff with professional degrees. Other responsibilities include the following:
• Provide service coordination (case management) for assigned group of clients including coordinating and monitoring the activities of the individual treatment team; assume primary responsibility for developing, writing, implementing, evaluating and revising overall treatment goals and plans in collaboration with the client and the ITT; provide individual supportive therapy and symptom management; ensure immediate changes; are made in treatment plans as clients’ need change, educate and support clients’ families; and advocate for clients’ rights and preferences.
• Conduct comprehensive assessment of psychiatric history (e.g. onset, course an effect of illness, past treatment and responses, and risk behaviors), mental status, and diagnosis; physical health and dental health; use of drugs or alcohol; education and employment, social development and functioning; activities of daily living (e.g., care-care, living situation, nutrition, money management); and family structure and relationships.
• Act as liaison and consult with community agencies and families to maintain coordination in the treatment process.
• Perform shift management in coordination with other P shift managers according to established policies and procedures.
• Provide on-call crisis intervention covering nighttime hours and serve as a back-up to evening and weekend staff.
• Provide direct clinical services including individual supportive therapy and psychotherapy to clients on an individual, group and family basis in the office and in community settings to teach behavioral symptom-management techniques to alleviate and manage symptoms not reduced with medication and to promote personal growth and development by assisting clients to adapt to and cope with internal and external stresses.
• Ideal candidates will have Master’s Degree in the Human Services, Psychology, Social Sciences or other related field. Must 1-2 years of direct care experience in the Mental Health Field.
• Skills and competence to establish supportive trusting relationships with persons with severe and persistent mental illnesses and respect for client rights and personal preferences in treatment are essential.
• Knowledge of mental health systems and supports. Some knowledge of multiple support systems for substance abusers. Good communication skills, both oral and written.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a focused team.
• Valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record required.
Frequent talking and listening.
Requires the ability to lift, carry, hold, kneel, reach, stack, stoop and bend, which may include direct intervention with residents.
© Copyright 2009. Horizon House, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Contact the Webmaster